Opening Ceremony Program
February 18, 2006
Introduction- West Acres Staff
1) Brad Schlossman reveals the theme of the project- Buffalo Path, The Gathering; a tribute to family, community and culture
2) Mayors - Four mayors share their understanding of family, community, culture and "the Gathering".
3) Introduction of the Project, Lake Agassiz Arts Council -
Martha Olsen gives introduction of the Arts Council.
History of the "Herd it on the Prairie", what's happening now and their future outlook.
4) Introduction of artist, Black Pinto Horse
Monte Yellow Bird presents himself and the projection of project
Introduction, Loren Yellow Bird
5) The significance of the buffalo to the plains tribes; past, present and
Loren Yellow Bird, an Arikara and Hidatsa from the three affiliated tribes is a historian and interpreter at Fort Union State Park
6) Morning Prayer
Loren Yellow Bird - Arikara language
Morning Prayer interpreted in American Sign Language by Sherri Ouellette, translated in English by Loren Yellow Bird.
7) Ceremonial Songs
Brenda & Marie Henry, Bernice Antoine and Millie Roberts (Ojibwa); women of the Roseau River First Nation introductions.
The women share meaning and importance before each song
Women sing "Women's Spirit Ceremonial Song, "Buffalo Song" and "Chief Mountain Song"
John Chaske a Dakota Sioux of Spirit Lake Nation and Spiritual leader, expresses his thoughts and gives a blessing to the artist, the buffalo and the creation of the embellished piece.
10) Lake Region State College
Erin Woods and others to discuss their role in the "Spirit of the Painted Pony" Project and their witness to the success of the bringing together of communities.
11) Introduction of Painting the Base Coat
Monte Yellow Bird shares his understanding and significance of a "Foundation".
12) Painting of the Foundation
Native American children share their ideas about family, community and culture
Martha Olsen, Brad Schlossman and children joined by their families, paint the base coat.
Everyone is asked to participate in the painting of the base coat
13) Conclusion -
Monte Yellow Bird and Martha Olsen bring closure to the event.